I'm hoping to go back to Edinburgh in a few years with one of my sisters, and I plan to do these things with her as well, so you know that they were fun! ;) Anyway, read on for 10 free and cheap things to do in Edinburgh, Scotland!
1. CLIMB CALTON HILL
Calton Hill makes for a really great walk with fantastic views of the city of Edinburgh, the Firth of Forth, and the countryside, as well as a series of pretty cool monuments, including the Stewart Dugall Monument (shown in picture) and the never-completed National Monument of Scotland.
2. See the scott monument
3. HEAR BAGPIPES
If you want to hear live bagpipes instead (which is a much better experience!), it's really not too much harder. Bagpiping street performers can often be seen along the Royal Mile (see the next attraction on this list), although we found the bagpiper in the above video on a bridge as we were exploring Edinburgh. Of course, it doesn't have to cost anything to listen to a street performer, but it's nice to give them £1 or 2 if you enjoy their performance!
4. WALK THE ROYAL MILE
5. SHOP FOR TARTAN AND CELTIC SOUVENIRS
6. PAY TRIBUTE TO GREYFRIARS BOBBY
7. Get inspired at the Elephant house
8. VIEW THE FIRTH OF FORTH
9. TRY HAGGIS & Irn Bru
10. STROLL THROUGH PRINCES STREET GARDENS
Totally Worth-It Splurge: Edinburgh Castle
- the funny and informative tour (included in admission cost) with our guide Gavin
- watching the daily 1 o'clock gun firing
- eating AMAZING scones and clotted cream at the Edinburgh Tea Rooms (not free but worth it)
- learned a lot at the National War Museum of Scotland, the Scottish Regimental Museum and the Scottish National War Memorial (all located at the castle)
- saw the Honours of Scotland (crown, scepter and sword) as well as the Stone of Destiny
- toured the royal quarters
- saw a prison that housed some (American) Revolutionary War prisoners
- explored St. Margaret's Chapel, which is the oldest building in Scotland and has gorgeous stained glass
- enjoyed gorgeous views of basically the whole city of Edinburgh from the castle!
If you only splurge on one thing while in this city, you can't go wrong with Edinburgh Castle!
Do you have any other ideas? Have you visited Edinburgh? What did you like most about the city? Comment below!